submit to reddit

Saturday 20 February 2016

Book Review // The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton


Synopsis (from the back of the book)
On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives at a grand house in Amsterdam to begin her new life as the wife of wealthy merchant Johannes Brandt. Though curiously distant, he presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations ring eerily true.
As Nella uncovers the secrets of her new household she realizes the escalating dangers they face. The miniaturist seems to hold their fate in her hands - but does she plan to save or destroy them?

Rating
3/5 stars


Review
First off, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Yes it had it's issues and bits of it bugged me but I found it very compelling and easy to read.
The time period was obviously very well researched and it was beautifully written. The story was mesmerising, it wasn't completely predictable and the parts that were didn't bother me. I always think that if you can work out how a character is going to react or what their motives are it means that the characters are detailed and written in a way that I feel that I know them.

I think the idea of the Miniaturist as a character was brilliant and the potential to really add to the storyline. I couldn't see the significance of the character. The storyline was pretty much unaffected by the character and in all honesty I didn't understand that thread of the story at all.

Favourite Quote
"every woman is the architect of her own fortune"


Have you read The Miniaturist? What did you think?
Tweet us @SimplyKarah10

This is my first attempt at a book review so please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas on how I can improve it I'm always up for criticism if it's constructive!

Kate // SK







No comments:

Post a Comment