submit to reddit

Saturday 21 November 2015

Thoughtful [Almost] Winter Walks


Before you read on here's a little warning: this post is about to get SAPPY!

Today we, the two halves of Simply Karah, decided to take a well deserved walk in one of the country parks near to where we stay, and when I say well deserved I mean we both thought "hmm, we haven't gone on a walk in a long time. Let's go out and talk and take lot's of cute autumnal photos and blog about it!" - No seriously, that's what we did.




I'm not going to lie, for me these walks with my best friend are something that I treasure most. It's a time for us to get real, be deep - or our new favourite - be authentic. Yes authentic. Yeah, ok, we can have deep conversations within any setting but there's just something about taking a long stroll on a cold, brisk day, feeling that fresh Scottish air, and thinking "I'm so glad you're my best friend! Now if you don't mind I'm about to tell you something that's resting on my heart. Now listen to me as I spill my guts and then attack me with your best advice!" or that's my thought process, anyway.

Bet you're thinking if that's the best I can do. If that's how sappy I can be. Well, you're wrong! So grab some tea, get comfy, and bring out the tissues (OR grab some chocolate, comfort food is always great! Go grab it, I dare you) Now here comes the sappy part.
I am forever grateful and thankful that this girl is my best friend. That I have someone I can be myself around and someone I can open up to. I truly believe God placed us together on this earth and pushed us, maybe forced us, to meet when we were a grand young age of 7. Maybe I should thank your parents too, they were the ones who decided to move to Scotland after all! I thank you for the support you've given me for however many years it's been (you can do the math) and I'm exceptionally thankful for someone who makes me laugh. Not just little giggles but good, proper belly laughs, where tears run down my face - and most likely make-up - and I can't stand up right because I'm laughing that hard. For someone I can cry in front of. Not just a trickle of a tear but a long sob - in the words of Mr Justin Timberlake, I can cry a river. For someone who, may not realize it, pushes me to be the best. Pushes me to the best of my ability; to be the best friend I can be; to be the best version of me. And for someone who is truthful and honest with me. Who will tell me straight up if I'm just being stupid, or ridiculous. If there's something on your mind that is a bugbear that also rests on your heart, that drives you crazy but is a big annoyance - you know, like boys - she will give you that slap on the face (not literally) that tells you to snap out of it but actually is the biggest comfort you need, she'll be there with the tub of Ben&Jerry's and with the laughter that will make you forget. A best friend is a happiness, a love, something that can never be replaced, someone that holds a special place in your heart. So for this I am thankful. Thankful that I found you, thankful that you are my best friend.

OH MY GOODNESS! Did you see that? That sappiness (is that a word?) just flowed. I feel like I need to take a rest. Maybe I'll just go curl up in a ball for a bit and let my mind rest.
No. No, I'll continue with this post. I'll finish what I started.
Ok, here goes!


Where were we? Walks! Winter walks. They're not just a time for me to open up to my best friend but also a time to contemplate life. To look at the beauty around us. The beauty of nature. I'm not going to get sappy about the beauty of life around us, you've had enough of that for one day. But I will say this - don't you think it's amazing how something so beautiful can come from something so small, something so simple? Take a tree for example; how can this giant, colourful plant, that also gives off oxygen, come from a small simple seed? Or how a rose, that is so beautiful, can come from the same thing? I mean, yes I know it's a different type of seed but it's still a seed.  I really encourage you to open your mind, to go for a long walk wherever you stay and just think. Look around you and think. Enjoy the fresh air, enjoy your surroundings. Shut down the computer, put away the phone and look at the beauty life holds. And hey, if you see something worth photographing then yes, you may take out your phone or camera and snap some photos. And if you must instagram or tweet there and then, sure, go for it, you have permission ... because I did.


Do you like winter walks as much as us? How do you like to clear your head?
We'd love to see some of your snaps from winter/autumn walks you've had!
Instagram & Twitter: simplykarah10

SKx

No comments:

Post a Comment