submit to reddit

Monday 21 November 2016

A/W Reads // SK Books

Something about the last few months of the year makes me want to read more. I like reading new books and old favourites. It's the dark nights when there isn't much on TV that make me want to curl up with a blanket and a cup of tea and escape into another world.

These are some of my firm favourites that I like to read at this time of year. They're beautiful, immersive books that drag you in and keep you until you finish the whole book.

 This book is one of my all time favourites. It was first published in 1992 and when this copy was bought it cost £3.99 (don't you wish books still only cost that!?). So Far From Skye is about a pair of siblings Morag and Allan MacDonald who are forced to emigrate from the isle of Skye to Australia in the 1850's. It follows them as they are uprooted from their home and have to adapt to an entirely new home.

Rooftoppers is a book I pre-ordered (which I never do) because I loved the sound of it so much. Rooftoppers follows the life of Sophie who is in an orphan and her discovery of the children who live under the radar on top of the rooftops of Paris. What an idea. 

This is another book that I have loved for a very long time. I first got this out of the library when I was in primary school and since then I have purchased my own copy as the library no longer has it. Ragboy, Rats and the Surging Seas follows Silas, a rag and bone boy, who discovers a mermaid lying injured on the beach one morning and decides to rescue her. 

The Secret Garden is one of my all time favourites (I feel like I'm saying this about every book in this post). When I was a child I was enchanted with the idea of a secret garden, I wanted my own so much that I asked my mum for a bit of garden of my own, needless to say me gardening my own little bit didn't last very long. Unlike my gardening efforts my love for this book has stayed strong. Mary Lennox is orphaned and sent off to live with her Uncle, she's a contrary little girl who isn't interested in anything, until she discovers a garden that has been locked up for years. 

First off, how beautiful is this copy of Wuthering Heights. I got this copy for my 21st birthday and I am still in love 2 years later. Wuthering Heights is such a dark tale but the descriptions of the moors are perfect for a cosy night in. This book is about the family that lived at Wuthering Heights as told by housekeeper Nelly to a visitor to the area 30 years after the events unfolded.

The Fox and the Star is a beautiful illustrated book about a fox and (you guessed it) a star. I don't want to go into the plot because it's short and there isn't much I could say without ruining the book. All I will say is that the images in this book are incredible and while it only takes 5 minutes to read it sticks with you for a long time after you put it down.

What old favourites do you like to read at this time of year?

Kate // SK

No comments:

Post a Comment